Sunday, December 16, 2012

Reindeer Games, Little Rock, AR




Saturday I went to a crossfit competition with some people from the box. Six of us from CFFay went to the Reindeer Games, hosted by West Little Rock Crossfit. Overall, we did really well, I think. HB took first in her division (intermediate), J took third in his (intermediate), and I took first in mine (novice). The rest of the crew did very well, with the majority of finishes being top 5. I was inordinately thrilled because I haven't won anything in a real sort of competition that I can remember. The metcon definitely catered to me by starting off with a row, which was nice. Overall, the experience helped cement in me a real desire to become better at the skill and body-weight movements holding me back (double unders, pullups, etc.), because once I get those, I'm strong enough to compete in intermediate divisions and maybe do okay. And get stronger, of course. Always stronger.

That said, this was an inaugural event... that may not be around next year. Fairly sure I wouldn't go back, unless I don't go to Shredfest next year and just want a fun competition. It wasn't very well organized from the outset, but the Thruster ladder went down without any major problems for all divisions, despite starting almost an hour late and with some frustrating judging (this lack of consistency in judging seems to be par for the course for many competitions, so I wasn't too concerned about it. I knew I was doing the full ROM for my stuff and not cheating the system, which is really what mattered to me). It was during the metcon WOD that things really fell apart. I went in the very first heat (novice women), which was good, because, while there were a few little quirks (my rower counted down 3,2,1 GO -- and I went -- but the clock wasn't synced up, so I sort of false started... but it ended up working out. Still, frustrating).

Problems started getting a little more severe with multiple starts that were not being recorded in the 2nd novice women's heat (my heart was going out to them -- what a demoralizing event to have to keep resetting after starting your rower! Ugh. But those ladies rocked that shit out, regardless). You could tell that the the gear hadn't really been checked beforehand, which was frustrating. After that, things really started going down hill with increasingly less and less organization. It was very frustrating. The intermediate men's heats took a long long time, with the athletes sitting waiting on the rowers for upwards of 15 minutes while the MC appeared to be doing nothing but drinking. I like that people have a good time at CFit competitions, but when the guys that are in charge of the event appear to be drinking and/or drunk before the competition is over and WHILE the entire event is sort of falling apart... it is no good. J from our box ended up helping them figure out the scoring system... and I could continue on with the unorganized, unprofessional clusterfuck that it ended up turning into.

That said, there were a few ladies there that were intensely hardworking. Not sure who they were affiliated with, but.. kudos, ladies! Without you, it would have disintegrated further, faster, and likely not recovered. So, I had fun, but the fuckery and the fact that we were in Little Rock from 8:30am-ish to 5:30ish for a 2 WOD competition with just under 100 competitors (across the 3 divisions) is a little too much for me to want to go back for. So, thanks for the win and the cool prizes (thanks to the sponsors: Avia shoes and Progenex)! But it'll take some coaxing for me to go back again, Little Rock Crossfit affiliates.




No comments:

Post a Comment