Wednesday, October 3, 2012

I very read an insightful blog post by Mara Glatzel (which you can read here). Mara is the writer of Medicinal Marzipan which is, at it's barest bones, can be described as a self-love blog. The writing seems to be oriented more towards women (a sadness, because I think this perception is likely only because the author is a woman), but I think it's very applicable for everyone.

Peripherally about the book Fifty Shades of Grey, Mara focuses, ultimately, on the need to be an "active participant" in your own life, and not to wait around for a situation, or person, to come along and sweep you off your feet to a place where you needn't worry about taking care of everything -- that "safety" that is linked arm-in-arm with turning your brain off.

I like what Mara urges (be aware! open your eyes!) but I don't really like that included in that is the idea that one day, if you are active in your own life, you can be swept off your feet by that someone or something that means you don't have to think so hard anymore. ... and I don't think that's necessarily true. Maybe it's because I'm a glutton for punishment, or maybe because I think that enduring discomfort is the salt that makes the comfort and joy you can find in the world that much more wonderful. Granted, I know I come to this table with the privilege of middle-class white girl from the north, so perhaps my definition of discomfort is trivial in light of the trials and tribulations of the next person, but discomfort is about perception, so I'll leave it at that.

I do know that all the things that stand out in my memory as being wonderful tend to have an element of pain/frustration/discomfort behind them -- crossing the line of my first 5k, marathon, ultra - physical pain; walking out of my immunology professor's office after my oral final in undergrad -- mental and emotional discomfort.  But working at something makes the rewards so much sweeter.

In other news, I am enjoying an apple I picked at the Farm while rambling with my pup last night. Ah, apples. My long-time favorite fruit. Welcome, fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment