Saturday, October 27, 2012

Saturday Quote: Sylvia Plath

"Everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt."
Sylvia Plath

Today is Plath's birthday, so I thought it fitting to post some of her wisdom. Though I'm not sure she believed it, as she committed suicide a month after her book, The Bell Jar, was published in England (under a pseudonym, with very little notice).

I read The Bell Jar in high school, during what I can only describe now as an "emo-goth" phase, where I was full of angst self-injury, and though myself a bit misunderstood.  I think it's notable that, even then, I thought the book a little whiny. Although, if I'd written my own thinly-veiled autobiography, I'm sure it would have read fairly similarly; white, middle-class female with a crushing need to "do well" in a chosen field, bright enough to fake self-esteem but not emotionally developed enough to be able to separate self-worth from outside achievements.  Alas, though I wished myself a female Holden Caulfield (who hasn't?), I definitely was not. 

So then, think not on how she lived her life, but on how she wanted to live it. Be courageous for all the lambs in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment