Wednesday, October 31, 2012

"In Heaven It Is Always Autumn" John Donne

Oh, October, I like you so much. I'm sad to see you go. I'm happy, for the moment, to be in AR, which is a bit of a change from the usual begrudging tolerance we feel for each other. You are beautiful, Arkansas, and I am loving your weather.

So, in my cheer, and because it very much feels like a Friday to me (thanks exams!), I'm going to post some things that make me love today.

From "First Poems" by Rainer Maria Rilke

Understand, I'll slip quietly
Away from the noisy crowd
When I see the pale
Stars rising, blooming over the oaks
I'll pursue solitary pathways
Through the pale twilit meadows,
With only this one dream:
You come too.

And:



The first stanza of the lyrics:

This is the story of your red right ankle
And how it came to meet your leg
And how the muscle bone and sinews tangled
And how the skin was softly shed
And how it whispered,
"Oh, adhere to me for we are bound by symmetry
And whatever differences our lives have been
We together make a limb"
This is the story of your red right ankle 


And, lastly, a bit of a meloncholic piece I did that I'm working sort of casually on, in the way that people do.

"Untitled."

walking, I spy sassafras.
 leaves clutched, torn; inhale.
scents remind me of home.
bittersweet, my heart cramps.
I am alone.

Autumn turns maple leaves here too,
but I long for native trees,
wondering if selfishness keeps me
alone.
I remind myself that Friday is coming,
even here, to my island.









No comments:

Post a Comment