Friday, November 16, 2012

Generosity

So, because I posted a little bit about science earlier in the week, I'm going a little bit of a different route for today's Science-y Friday post.

I've been reading a book called Generosity: an Enhancement by Richard Powers. I picked it up at the public library because I wanted to join a book club and, erroneously, believed that the books stacked on a display with "Book Club Reads" emblazoned across it would be books that were going to be read. I was, sadly, incorrect, but it turned out okay.

That morning I'd walked from the farmer's market down to the library with a paper bag of roasted chestnuts in my hand. The only sort of chestnuts I'd ever eaten previously were water chestnuts (which, I guess are actually invasive in the U.S. and not a nut at all, but a marsh tuber), which are okay, for a crunchy flavorless sort of thing.  But these little things smelled like autumn and could be cupped cozily in my two hands. So, I purchased some. And they were so warm and perfectly sweet. I ate my first one, peeling off the leathery outer layer, and the sweet nuttiness on my tongue reminded me of all the sweet melancholic things I love about autumn. And I felt so content and alone, but also full to overflowing at how precious my friendships are to me.

The moment was very emo and Portlandish. Don't judge, yet, 'cause it's gonna get worse.

It actually reminded me of one of my favorite poems by William Carlos Williams,

"This is just to say"
I have eaten
the plums
that were
in the icebox

and which
you were
probably saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold

I was so overjoyed that I, too, jotted off a few phrases while I sat, eating chestnuts, thinking of William Carlos Williams, and reading Generosity. I haven't gotten too far in the novel yet, just about a quarter of the way through, but so far, I like it. The premise relates to Science finding a genetic basis for happiness and the (I assume) exploitation that goes along with it, and the genetic anomaly found in one of the protagonist's writing students. I'm bummed that I missed a book club discussion on it, but am hopeful that I'll be able to get in on the book club when it starts up again in January.  

No comments:

Post a Comment